Puppeteering and music are interests Ali Eisner has fostered since childhood. Eisner launched a career in children’s television 18 years ago as a host on YTV. She’s worked extensively in Canada and the US, performing and creating for shows on Nick Jr, CBC, TVO, FOX, YTV, Disney, PBS and NBC, often collaborating in a wide range of mediums. A multi-instrumentalist, Ali has also composed and scored for broadcasters throughout her career. In 2004, she began working for TVO on “Gisele’s Big Backyard,” a spinoff of “Polka Dot Door” – where she continues as “Jay” the Blue Jay. In 2007, Eisner was approached by CBC to create “Mamma Yamma,” who she embodied until April, 2013, receiving several Gemini nominations and national acclaim for this role.
10 Things About Ali.
1) When I was 11 years old I set up my own tv/radio station in my bedroom. My microphone was a tube of toothpaste.
2) My first puppet was an Ernie puppet. My folks bought it for my 8th birthday.
3) I ride a motorcycle. And I love it.
4) Coffee is my favourite smell, but I don’t drink it.
5) My partner is kind of awesome.
6) The first instrument I learned to play was the drums.
7) I am obsessed with house painting. I could paint for hours. At 4am.
8) My favourite musician is Stevie Wonder. We also share the same birthday.
9) I think kids are smarter than adults.
10) “Free to be, You and Me” was the album that shaped my childhood. Joni Mitchell shaped my Youth.